The Winnipeg Flying Club was established in 1927.
In 1929 the Club received its charter and was issued a permanent airport licence.
In a two-day ceremony May 27 and 28, 1928, the Winnipeg Flying Club officially opened an air field in the Rural Municipality of St. James. Premier John Bracken addressed the crowd of 7000 spectators at the new Stevenson Aerodrome, named in honour of the noted Manitoba aviator and pioneer bush pilot, Captain Fred J. Stevenson.
In those years, facilities on-site consisted of a tiny cabin and one hangar about 3.6 metres wide which could accommodate only folding wing aircraft. The flying club soon built a club-house, and other buildings began to appear as private fliers, commercial companies and the Royal Canadian Air Force moved in.